Friday 4 September 2015

Behind the Scenes of Hochanda TV!


Hochanda is a brand new exciting TV channel, the new home for hobbies, crafts and arts. It can be found on Sky 663, Freesat 822, Freeview 39 (6am-4am) or you can watch on the live stream on their website, Hochanda.com

Hochanda launched on 27th August 2015 at midday and from now on we can expect lots of shows from cake making, to card making, to DIY!

I interviewed Hochanda’s first Technical Operator, Claire Dennis, about her experience of launch week at Hochanda.



What do you do at Hochanda?
I am a technical operator, which means I deal with any technical issues such as getting microphones ready for guests and presenters, organizing the equipment in the studio, operating the equipment, monitor the output and general running around like a crazy person!

What is a regular day at Hochanda like?
There’s no such thing as a regular day at Hochanda. I start at 8am, we go live at 9am, so I have to get the studio ready to go live. Then anything can happen from there! It can be quite a slow, no emergency day and I’m chilled out or it could be a day where I have to be in 5 places in the building at one time! This goes on until 9pm, when the live day is finished, I have to close down the studio and make sure the overnight output is broadcasting.

What challenges do you face as a Technical operator?
Trying to be in 5 places at once! If one thing goes wrong then I have to be in the gallery, and the studio and the office and backstage because of the knock on effect technical difficulties can have!

What has been your favourite product so far?
The Oekaki sewing machine, it’s awesome!

Who is your favourite presenter and why?
Lee is my favourite, he is very easy to get on with and I have worked with him before so we just fell back into our stride again! All the presenters are equally as lovely though.

Who is your favourite guest and why?
Hayley West, for a similar reason to Lee, I have worked with her before and I always get a great big hug from her when she walks into the studio!

What do you love about Hochanda?
I like the variety of products and the high level of demonstrations. I’m a crafter myself so I enjoy learning new things each day!

What made you want to work in the TV industry?
From a very young age I was always interested in TV and how it worked so I started pursuing that interest in college and university. It all just went from there! It took a while but it was worth it.

What advice do you have for people wanting to work in the industry?
Make yourself available! All the time! Experience is what counts!

What do you think your first Hochanda purchase will be?
I have come quite close to buying a few things actually because the call centre is in the same office! I think I’ll be getting something from Creative Expressions first!



Hochanda are live 9am-9pm and can be found on Sky 663, Freesat 822, Freeview 39 (6am-4am) or you can watch on the live stream on their website, Hochanda.com

No comments:

Post a Comment